A few months ago Papertrey ink had a "Make it Monday" challenge that involved using dies to create die cuts from fabric. The use of Heat N Bond was recommended to help stabilize the fabric for easier die cutting but I didn't have any on hand. I remembered using Mod Podge before on ribbon and how stiff it became when it dried, so I decided to use Mod Podge instead, and it worked beautifully!
So anyway I had some extra fabric that had been Mod Podged left over from that challenge and decided to put it to use for some fall themed home decor.
This first project is a 4x4 mini canvas. This canvas actually has several layers of paint on it. I painted something on it and hated it. I started to throw it away but decided to just paint over it. After adding gesso, paint, fabric, & burlap you can't tell at all!
I applied a layer of Mod Podge to both sides of the fabric and burlap and allowed them to dry over night. The Mod Podge helps stablize the fabric so that it cuts easily with wafer thin dies, and the Mod Podge applied to the burlap will help keep the fraying to a minimum when you cut it. Apply the Mod Podge liberally, and use wax paper or a craft mat so that it doesn't stick to your work surface after it dries. I then applied a layer of gesso on the canvas. Once that I dried I applied some basic brown acrylic paint over the canvas.
I used a scalloped border die & the largest leaf die from Lawn Fawn's Stitched Leaves die cut set to cut the fabric. I added some distress ink to the edges of burlap and fabric and then adhered the burlap over the edge of the scalloped using Scor-tape. I wrapped a piece of brown ribbon from American Crafts to cover the seam of the fabric and burlap.I also added distress ink to the edges and surface of the leaf.
I adhered the fabric and burlap piece to the canvas using Scor-tape. To create the sentiment label I used patterned paper and SU's word window punch. I trimmed it down and stamped the sentiment on the label and inked the edges.
I threaded a button and adhered it to the leaf, and adhered the leaf to the burlap using Scor-tape. I scrunched up the leaf a little to give it a little more texture. I then pulled some plain chipboard letters from my stash to create the title. I painted them black, added a layer of glossy accents, sprinkled on some glitter and let it dry. After it was dry I added a second layer of glossy accents to seal in the glitter. I then used glossy accents to adhere them to the burlap. You can click on the photos for an enlarged view.
Thanks so much for looking!